I was reading the most recent edition of Men's Health Magazine, when I came across some fun
facts about food and nutrition. I have decided to share my favourite top 15 facts with you. Enjoy !!
1) The reason why peppers taste so hot is because they contain a chemical called capsaicin.
This chemical binds to your sensory nerves and tricks them into thinking that your mouth is
actually being burned.
2) There are so many apple varieties that if you were to eat an apple a day, it would take over 27 years for you to taste all of them.
3) The average fast food burger can contain meat from up to 100 different cows
4) Ripe cranberries actually bounce like rubber balls when thrown.
5) Your average can of soft drink contains more than 8 tablespoons of sugar. That's approximately 65g of sugar in one serving.
6) Cutting onions releases a gas which causes a stinging sensation when it comes in contact with your eyes. Your body produces tears to dilute the irritant and remove it from your eyes.
7) The colours red, yellow and orange and thought to stimulate hunger, which is why many fast food outlets opt for these colours in the brand logos
8) Canned veggies, such as carrots and swedes, can contain up to 40% more heart healthy antioxidants than their fresh counterparts. They are also significantly cheaper and have a longer shelf life.
9) The only food that doesn't go off is honey. It will literally last over 3000 years.
10) McDonalds opens a new restaurant every 14.5 hours. They feed 68 million people per day and earn over $75 million USD daily. To top it all off 1 in 8 Americans have been employed by McDonalds, however the average mcdonalds employee needs to work for 7 months to earn the same amount of money that a McDonalds CEO makes in one hour. There is something very wrong with this picture.
11) The reason why airplane food isn't very tasty is partly due to the fact that our sense of smell and taste decrease by 20-50% when at higher altitudes.
12) Almost 70% of red meat eaten worldwide comes from goat meat.
13) 80% of the biomass of fish in the world's oceans has been lost in the past 100 years. If the current fishing trajectory continues, we can expect to run out of our fish supply in 2050.
14) Chicken now contains 266% more fat than it did 40 years ago.
15) When you loose weight, most of the fat is breathed out as carbon dioxide, whilst the rest is excreted as water